Want to make working with products in your online shop a breeze? Weebly features include everything you need to import, export and batch update products easily. These tools make it simple to open (or move) an online shop from a managed marketplace, such as Etsy, to your own dedicated website.
Ready to get started? Here's a guide for how to do it.
Managed Marketplace vs. Online Store
If you're planning to sell online or already doing so, it's important to consider where you'd like to sell. You can use a managed marketplace, such as selling on Etsy or through an Amazon storefront, or drive online sales from your own branded website.
The key benefits for selling directly from your website include:
- You only have to direct shoppers to one URL to find everything. If you have an online store and a marketplace store somewhere else, that can mean two websites to keep up with.
- You get full control over the website design when you sell from your own online store. This includes custom branding and information surrounding your products. Own your own narrative by creating a killer 'About Me' page.
- There's no on-site competition from other vendors when you sell direct. On many managed marketplaces, shoppers can be enticed with similar items from other sellers.
- If you sell from your Weebly website, you won't pay any fees or commissions based on those sales. All the profit from each item is yours to keep.
- You can earn valuable SEO (Search Engine Optimization) equity with your own website. If done properly, your website can land on page one for related search terms.
Get Started With an Online Store
Once you have a Weebly account set up, it's easy to add online sales to your website.
Start by ensuring that you like the design of your home page, figure out product categories, and then you are ready to add items. The challenge is that if you have more than 20 products, the process of entering them can be time consuming. That's where the Weebly import/export feature comes in.
The import/export feature uses a CSV (comma separated values) spreadsheet that you can create using any spreadsheet app (Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, Apple Numbers, etc.) and has columns and rows for each product listing and information.
If you are importing products to a store for the first time, it's important to set up your spreadsheet in a specific way. This actually starts with exporting a product so that you have all the required data for your shop.
Just go into Store > Products and create one product. Fill out every field that you'll be using in your store. When you export the file, it will serve as an example of how to create your spreadsheet.
Then, fill out the spreadsheet following the example.
Import the spreadsheet with your products into Weebly and see your shop's full inventory online. (You can find complete instructions here.)
Import and export features make it easy to move your website from a managed marketplace to Weebly and help you continue to manage and grow your online shop.
Key features allow you to:
- Move inventory from another location to Weebly by exporting and importing data.
- Batch upload for ease of use so that you don't have to start from scratch, entering items one by one.
- Import/export tools recognize products with the same items IDs and new imports won't create duplicate items. Anything with a new ID will appear as a new item.
- Update items and descriptions using your master spreadsheet and upload it again.
- Enter and update 16 different information types using this Weebly feature, including product descriptions and images, categories, inventory tracking, price, weight, product options and more.
Entrepreneurs are sometimes hesitant to sell on their own website because they worry about managing products and inventory. Weebly tools make it easy to add products to your website using the import/export tool — continuing to manage and update those items follows the same process.
With Weebly you get the design control of having your own website, plus tools that make running an online shop easy.